Health Coach Certifications
Our online health coach certification programs will give you the right tools and knowledge you need to kick-start your career as a successful health coach.
AS SEEN IN THESE GREAT PUBLICATIONS
Transform Lives as a Health Coach
Choosing a healthy lifestyle is up to each individual. Whether or not you decide to make health and wellness coaching your profession, you have the opportunity to make significant changes that can improve all aspects of your life, from disease prevention to stronger social connections.
What You Will Learn
Robust Health and Wellness Plans
Learn how to develop integrated wellness strategies like setting goals, preventing disease, stress management, improving mind-body connections and acquiring a large clientele who needs your health coaching services.
Become an Expert Health Advisor
Master the client-coach connection and discover the best approaches for providing useful feedback, motivating clients to follow through with their specific action plan, and guiding them into healthy beginnings with a holistic approach.
Evidence-Based Coaching Methodology
Discover the most effective approach in helping your clients reach their health and wellness goals. Our state-of-the-art coaching system is used globally for a reason. Graduate with industry-leading skills and become known as the go-to health coach.
Comprehensive and Affordable Certification
AFPA health coaching programs are packed with top-notch education material by authorities in the field. The AFPA curriculums allow for affordability, convenience and quick completion. Receive your credentials at a fraction of the price of a 4-year college curriculum or other health coach schools, and still qualify for board-certification upon completion of your program.
Tremendous Industry Growth
Due to the global increase of preventable chronic disease, the demand for health coaching has grown to record highs. Job opportunities for coaches are increasing every year, and becoming AFPA certified will help you take the next steps towards a career in this flourishing industry.
Valuable Business Resources
If you decide to build your own business after certification, AFPA offers exceptional business resources and guidance to help you establish a successful health coaching business so you don’t have to journey down the entrepreneurial path alone!
Not sure if coaching is the right path for you? Hear what our graduates have to say
The reason I chose AFPA is because of the recognition that they have worldwide, designed by experts in their fields, so I felt very comfortable choosing them. The certification has been very beneficial in my career. I’m now able to attract more clients because of the certification behind my name. I’m no longer just a fitness trainer, I’m a fitness trainer and nutrition and wellness consultant.”
Adding on the Multiple Sclerosis Fitness & Wellness Specialist certification allowed me to gain a new type of clientele. It’s wonderful to be able to impact people’s lives that have MS and to be able to help feel better and live better every single day.”
The way my life has changed after getting the certification is like a complete 180, honestly. I definitely could not have counseled people the way I do now without AFPA. I was surprised the most when I just realized really how much I was learning. I knew I was going to learn a lot, and that there were so many different curriculum topics, but at the end of it, I learned even so much more than I expected.”
The certification program changed everything in my overall life. It changed how I ate, my health, and how I help other people. It also changed my career in the health space. I liked that the information presented had studies and actually showed you the research as it was teaching you things.”
Explore Health Coach Certifications
Proudly recognized as an organizational member of the Association of Coach Training Organizations (ACTO).
Our Health Coach certifications fully meet the American Association of Drugless Practitioners (AADP) education requirements, providing students with the most comprehensive course material designed by the Institute to gain eligibility as a Board Certified Health Coach.
Approved as a CEU Provider by the National Association of Nutrition Professionals (NANP). Receive your continued education units in health coaching through AFPA.
Health Coaching FAQ
What topics does the Health & Wellness Coach (HWC) certification program cover? Answer
The Health & Wellness Coach Certification course is broken down into 2 modules:
Health & Wellness Module:
This module examines the use of a balanced, integrated, holistic model of health, and explores the many dimensions of wellness. There is also a focus on self-assessment, development of critical thinking, and behavior change skills to facilitate personal awareness and well-being.
Topics covered, but are not limited to:
- Achieving Personal Health
- Mind-Body Communications to Maintain Wellness
- Managing Stress and Mental Health
- Eating and Exercising Toward a Healthy Lifestyle
- Movement and Physical Activity for Health
- Understanding and Preventing Disease
- Understanding Drug Use and Abuse
- Making Healthy Choices
- Exploring Alternative Medicines
- Overcoming Obstacles
- Health Enhancement Methods
Lifestyle Coaching Module:
You will learn evidence-based coaching and systematic processes to guide, support, and motivate clients to achieve positive behavior change and long-term healthy lifestyles and practices. The International Coach Federation’s 11 core competencies are thoroughly examined, and application to the health and fitness arena is discussed. Included are specific coach–client dialogues and reflection sidebars that will help you to personally experience the content. You will learn the necessary skills for professional development and for supporting and advancing clients in change processes related to health, wellness, and fitness.
Topics covered, but are not limited to:
- Introduction to Lifestyle Wellness Coaching
- Core Ingredients in Effective Coaching
- Different Models of Coaching
- Foundation for Effective Coaching
- Meeting Ethical Guidelines and Establishing the Coaching Agreement
- Coaching Agreements
- Ongoing Support for New Behaviors and Actions
- The Active Nature of Listening
- Steps in Questioning
- Direct Communication
- Goals and Goal Setting
- Coaching as a Path of Change
- Reconfiguring the Concept of Expertise
- Your Life as a Coach
What is a Holistic Health Coach? Answer
A Holistic Health Coach is a trained professional who uses an integrative approach to both diet and lifestyle changes to improve their clients’ health. Working as a guide toward an overall healthier life, they will look at their clients’ nutrition patterns, relationships, physical fitness, spirituality, and more.
Holistic health coaches will generally meet with clients and conduct an initial interview, assess their current health, as well as observe any conditions that may present. During client-coaching relationship, a Holistic Health Coach will:
- Coach and educate clients about how to achieve and sustain good health such as a daily routine involving whole, nutritious foods, exercise, stress management, and adequate sleep.
- Empower clients to achieve optimal health, for the present and the future, through addressing any imbalances caused by improper nutrition, lifestyle stressors, poor quality sleep, insufficient water, lack of exercise, and relaxation.
- Educate clients to evaluate their lifestyle choices and to identify and change any potential causes of ill health.
- Create healthy environments, conduct educational activities and demonstrations, and support clients in reaching their personal wellness objectives.
- Recognize when it is necessary to refer a client to his or her primary care physician for treatment and/or diagnosis.
Additionally, a Holistic Health Coach may provide counseling, talk therapy, and different methods of holistic wellness, such as healing touch or reiki. Finally, they will document the client’s progress and meet with them regularly to follow up on the client’s goals and where they stand in terms of meeting them. They may even provide some kind of blueprint or action plan that the client can follow, made up of small, attainable steps. Of course, they will also provide a ton of encouragement and support.
What is the difference between the Health & Wellness Coach and Holistic Health Coach certification programs? Answer
The Health & Wellness Coach (HWC) certification program focuses on the processes of coaching, how to be an effective coach, and how to elicit behavior change from your clients. This program focuses on how health is not only specifically dependent on diet and exercise, but also on supportive relationships, meaningful work, work/life balance, spirituality, and more. HWC also looks at many areas of a client’s life—instead of diet and exercise alone—that may be contributing to stress and poor health.
The Holistic Nutrition (HN) certification program focuses on meal planning and dietary guidelines for disease prevention and optimal health through whole foods nutrition—but not necessarily a vegetarian or vegan diet. When you design a whole foods diet that is 90 percent or more plant-based, that means you keep animal products—meat, eggs, dairy, fish—to no more than 10 percent of your total daily caloric intake. Keeping in mind that one diet plan does not suit all, various other holistic dietary options are also discussed.
The Holistic Health Coach (HHC) includes both the Health & Wellness Coach (HWC) and the Holistic Nutritionist (HN) certification programs. Once you have received HHC certification, AFPA graduates are eligible to be a board certified Holistic Health Practitioner through the American Naturopathic Medical Accreditation Board (ANMAB).
What will I learn in the Holistic Health Coach certification course? Answer
The Holistic Health Coach Certification Program is comprised of the AFPA Health & Wellness Coach and AFPA Holistic Nutritionist certification programs. Once you have completed both certification programs, you will earn the Holistic Health Coach Certification. Collectively, these programs will teach you what you need to know about basic holistic anatomy, physiology, nutrition essentials, eating, and exercising, as well as wellness and stress management, understanding and preventing disease, making healthy choices and overcoming obstacles, health coaching, client intake, best practices, and how to build your clientele.
You will learn the types of questions to ask, how to provide feedback effectively, how to facilitate action planning, learn communication strategies to motivate, guide, inform, and support clients in moving toward personal change with a holistic approach. You will also learn about developing a trusting relationship, creating goals that are aligned with coaching processes, unblocking clients’ energy, and discovering resources for change. Ultimately, you will learn the evidence-based and systematic coaching methodology that you can apply in helping your clients move efficiently toward effective, long-term health and wellness.
This program also provides unprecedented, evidence-based, professional training in holistic nutrition, whole foods, and plant-based nutrition, which will provide you with a strong skill set and the confidence to coach and consult with any client seeking to not only prevent, but also to reverse disease and gain optimal health. Want to learn more about GMOs, organics, veganism, vegetarianism, whole foods, Paleo, dairy, non-dairy foods, and how to achieve total wellness? This program is for you! As a Certified Holistic Health Coach trained in natural complementary nutrition, you will be able to coach, consult, and advise clients on how to identify and help correct the nutritional causes of health complaints and design personalized diet and lifestyle programs that optimize health.
Needless to say, you will graduate with all of the essential skills and knowledge to launch a meaningful career as a Holistic Health Coach and how to achieve your own personal goals for success!
Where can I work as a Holistic Health Coach? Answer
Some graduates may feel a bit overwhelmed with the career possibilities and choices available to them once they have completed the program and are in need of a little guidance. You can choose from a variety of work environments, doing full-time or part-time coaching, having your own coaching business, or working alongside other professionals first. Here are some options:
- Colleges and Universities: Although college-level sports teams can use Holistic Health Coaches, it’s not just the athletes who can benefit from your insights. Many colleges and universities use health professionals for students, faculty, and staff as a way to reduce stress and boost overall wellness for everyone on campus.
- Wellness Centers, Spas, and Gyms: As the interest in wellness and healthy lifestyle changes blossoms, the number of centers specializing in these services is growing—particularly at resorts and retreat organizations. Gyms also are expanding their offerings in order to stand out from competitors, and many offer more than just personal training.
- Corporations: Companies of every size are implementing employee wellness programs and offering incentives for healthy lifestyle changes such as smoking cessation, regular exercise, and health screenings.
- Weight Loss Programs: Even well-established diet programs have been making major changes in the past few years, moving away from restrictive plans in order to focus on healthy eating behaviors. Many have acknowledged that deprivation and overly rigid diet programs can lead to yo-yo weight issues that are ultimately unhealthy for clients. As these programs shift toward a better model, Holistic Health Coaches fit in beautifully.
- Training Centers: Holistic health coaches can be a strong addition to sports-specific training centers that cater to professional and amateur athletes. Often, those who are training need a range of strategies that don’t just encompass nutrition for optimal performance, but also stress management and recovery tactics.
- Own your own business: Some Holistic Health Coaches prefer to have their own businesses and consult with different types of organizations on a regular basis. Some existing practices are looking to partner with holistic health professionals in order to offer more services to their clients and grow their network. With many options for where you could work as a Holistic Health Coach, you have the opportunity to keep expanding your business and optimizing your revenue sources, in addition to helping clients live their best lives.
What about additional career ideas for a Health Coach? Answer
- Create your own holistic nutrition and health blog
- Create a YouTube channel and/or a podcast about nutrition and coaching
- Host holistic nutrition and holistic wellness coaching groups on social media
- Create nutrition and wellness programs in your community
- Create your own online wellness products and programs
- Develop a meal planning system for clients or organizations for your online business
- Be a resource for sourcing local organic foods
- Teach holistic nutrition and wellness seminars to special groups for a variety of ages
- Lecture or speak on holistic wellness and behavior change at events and conferences
- Author books on creating a healthy lifestyle and holistic nutrition recipes
- Host a wellness retreat
- Start a meal preparation and delivery business
- Create and run a community kitchen and garden
- Be a guest on local programming, such as radio, news, tv, or public forum
- Work as an in-store nutritionist
- Start a restaurant or personal chef business
How is AFPA different from other coaching programs? Answer
AFPA’s curriculum integrates both our health and wellness coaching content and holistic nutrition content, specifically motivational interviewing, positive psychology, mind-body medicine, and character strengths.
The AFPA certification program is one of the most comprehensive options available and is the perfect fit for someone who may not necessarily have the time or money to pursue a four-year degree program at a college or university. Course study materials are delivered online and/or to your doorstep, and you can learn at your own pace from anywhere in the world. You have assignments to complete and—when you’re ready—you can complete the final certification examination.
Added bonus: Once you have completed this program, AFPA will pay for your Board Certification with the American Association of Drugless Practitioners (AADP). Benefits of this board certification include discounted professional liability insurance, client questionnaires, and laboratory testing services in the USA and Canada. Members will also be automatically added to a database, which is used to refer practitioners to the general public.
- AFPA has provided certification and continuing education to more than 130,000 Certified Personal Fitness Trainer, Certified Fitness Instructors and Nutrition professionals worldwide. AFPA offers FREE unlimited professional support to all of our certified professionals!
- Earn continuing education credits for health professionals.
- The program curriculum fully meets AADP board educational requirements, which gives AFPA students a thorough knowledge of courses set forth by the institute. As an added incentive, this makes you eligible to become a Board Certified Holistic Health Practitioner.
- The AFPA program curriculum fully meets the educational requirements of the American Naturopathic Medical Accreditation Board (ANMAB), and graduates are eligible to apply to be a board certified Holistic Health Practitioner through ANMAB.
- AFPA is an approved training provider by the International Practitioners of Holistic Medicine.
- AFPA and this program are approved by the National Association of Nutrition Professionals (NANP) for a total of 60 NANP Category 1 CEUs.
- AFPA is a recognized coaching organizational member of the Association of Coach Training Organizations (ACTO).
- AFPA is recognized by the state of Florida as an Associate Member in Florida Association of Postsecondary Schools and Colleges (FAPSC).
- AFPA is a registered educational institution with the Canadian Association of Drugless Practitioners (CADP) in the country of Canada with all the applicable rights, privileges, and responsibilities.
- AFPA is a partner in wellness and organizational member of the American Holistic Health Association (AHHA).
- AFPA is recognized as an organizational member of the American Nutrition Association® (ANA).
- AFPA is proud to be a member of the Institute for Credentialing Excellence (ICE) in show of our support of the credentialing community and our commitment to strive for excellence in our certification programs.
- AFPA certification programs have been approved for the G.I. Bill and MyCAA.
What if I have already completed the Health & Wellness Coach Certification, or the Holistic Nutritionist Certification program? Can I just complete the remaining course? Answer
Yes! If you have already completed one of these programs, simply enroll in the course you have not completed. Once you have completed both courses, and both certifications are current, you are eligible to receive the cumulative credential of Certified Holistic Health Coach.
What are the prerequisites for the Health Coach program? Answer
To be successful with this program, we suggest you have a sincere interest in helping others, are committed to health and wellness, and have a strong desire for a career change or to expand your current professional position. Additionally, you must be a minimum 18 years of age and have a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent.
What will a certified Holistic Health Coach certificate allow me to do? Answer
There is growing demand for wellness coaches and increasing recognition of Holistic Health Coaches as the premier strategies for preventing disease and improving one’s lifestyle. Graduating from AFPA as a certified Holistic Health Coach will open many doors, and our grads are using their training to pursue a range of career paths. They establish private coaching practices, bring Holistic Health Coaching to traditional medical practices, work in a corporate wellness environment, advance in their current positions, or a combination of these paths.
How long is the Health and Wellness Coach program? Answer
You can complete this program in 6 months or less.
How long is the Holistic Health Coach program? Answer
You can complete the Holistic Health Coach program at your own pace, in 12 months or less.
Where does the Health Coach program take place? Answer
This program is a self-paced, self-study course, is 100-percent online and you can complete it from the comfort of your home. You also have the option of choosing hybrid learning with physical textbooks and online testing.
Is this program recognized by any health coaching organizations or accreditation organizations like AADP or ACTO? Answer
Yes. Successful graduates of the program who meet AADP’s additional eligibility requirements may become a Board Certified Holistic Health Coach. AFPA is a recognized organizational member of the Association of Coach Training Organizations (ACTO).
Graduates of the AFPA Health and Wellness Coach Certification program are eligible to apply to be Board Certified through the ANMAB (American Naturopathic Medical Accreditation Board).
How much can I earn as a Holistic Health Coach? Answer
As a Holistic Health Coach, it’s not uncommon to charge $100-$150 per session or even as much as $200-$500/hour even. In fact, according Glassdoor.com, health and wellness coaches can earn upwards of $87,000 per year doing what they love. The opportunities for health coaching professionals are only increasing year over year.
Is the program approved for continuing education? Answer
Yes. The program offers a total of 60 National Association of Nutrition Professionals(NANP) Category 1 CEUs and 32 AFPA CECs. We work with a variety of additional professional organizations to receive approval for continuing education. As our program gains new approvals, they will be added to the enrollment page.
Does health insurance cover health coaching? Answer
There are some insurance companies that cover Health Coaching and Nutrition Consulting. We recommend that you ask the healthcare provider if these types of services are covered. Health Coaches do serve as an essential component of the healthcare system. So many people are looking for preventative and improved lifestyle services from a Holistic Health Coach rather than from a physician.
Who can enroll in the Health Coach certification program? Answer
We welcome anyone interested in making their lives better and those around them through creating a healthy lifestyle!
Also, any licensed and credentialed healthcare professionals, as well as individuals working in any of the following fields, may be interested in taking this program to further their skills and practice: physician, physician assistant, licensed clinical counselor, chiropractor, nurse practitioner/clinical nurse specialist, RN/LPN/LVN, therapists and assistants, dentist/licensed dental hygienist, registered dietitians, certified nutrition specialist, certified nutrition professionals, certified diabetes educator, certified athletic trainer, certified exercise physiologist, licensed acupuncturist, certified personal trainers, and certified fitness professionals.
My background is not in healthcare or fitness. Can I still enroll? Answer
Absolutely! Although experience in a health and wellness field is a plus, great coaches come from diverse career backgrounds and prior life experiences.
I just want to learn for my own self-improvement. Can I still enroll in this program if I do not want to practice being a Holistic Health Coach? Answer
Absolutely. We encourage you to foster your personal and professional growth even if you have no desire to become a Holistic Health Coach. We are confident that the information you learn from this course will not only benefit you personally but also those with whom you share your knowledge.
When can I enroll? What do I need to do in order to enroll? Answer
Whenever you want! We have a rolling enrollment for all programs, meaning that all you need to do is complete your enrollment online.
Are there any payment plan options? Answer
Absolutely! Pick the loan that fits your budget, and make payments over three, six, or 12 months. Our payment plans offer instant approval, are safe and secure—security of your personal information is top priority—and payment reminders can be sent via email and text. Please visit our Payment Plans page to learn more about available options.
Will I practice coaching techniques and client consultations during the program? Answer
Yes. You’ll have assignments that require you to practice coaching and consultation in your environment on your own and with a person of your choosing. Hands-on coaching practice sessions and dietary consultations will help prepare you to work with real clients after your program completion.
What job opportunities exist for health coaches? Answer
There is a growing demand for health coaches! Graduating from AFPA as a Certified Holistic Health Coach opens many doors, and our grads are using their training to pursue a range of career paths. They establish private coaching practices, work in private practices, bring health coaching to traditional medical practices, work in a corporate wellness environment, provide direct-to-consumer coaching as contractors for healthcare businesses, advance in their current positions, or a combination of these paths.
Will I have access to the entire course when I enroll? Answer
Yes! We don’t hold back your materials. Once you are enrolled, you will receive all of your course instructions to access your materials online.
What books and materials will I need? Answer
All required materials and E-books are included with your course.
Is the program set up for international students? Answer
Yes. The program is designed to accommodate students from around the world.
What if I need technical support with my online access to materials? Answer
Should you have any questions or problems, we provide you with contact information so you can reach out to your instructor or the technical support team to troubleshoot any technical difficulties.
Holistic Health Coach Program Guide
Learn everything there is to know about becoming a Holistic Health Coach in today’s booming wellness industry. Download our free career guide to learn about Holistic Health 101, Holistic Health Coach career opportunities, how to kick-start your career in Holistic Health, how to get certified and the AFPA curriculum.