The AFPA Weight Management Consultant Certification program was developed by nationally renowned speaker, educator, clinical certified nutritionist and best selling author Carol Simontacchi, CCN, MS. This program provides a holistic approach to weight and health management. The Weight Management Consultant program will teach you how to guide your clients to achieve their short-term weight loss goals, but more importantly, give you the skills to help them achieve long-term weight management.
You will gain the education and training that will enable you to combine sound nutrition, safe and effective physical activity, appropriate lifestyle changes and psychological and emotional support into programs that will help you to help them to achieve their goals. All of these components are important and all must be looked at carefully when designing a realistic and reasonable weight management programs. Diet, exercise and lifestyle together are the basis of a complete and well-rounded program. Few people lose weight by just dieting or just exercising alone.
Your clients want to lose weight. They come to you for help. With the knowledge you gain from the Weight Management Consultant Certification course you can demonstrate to your clients that you have the knowledge to develop sound, balanced weight-management programs that will help your clients achieve long-term weight management success through nutrition, exercise and lifestyle change. You will design programs that meet each client’s unique needs by recognizing what motivates them, by determining the best way to help them safely achieve their goal and by identifying how to effectively communicate your advice.
AFPA - American Fitness Professionals & Associates has been granted full board professional accreditation & certification by the American Association of Drugless Practitioners. AFPA's school curriculum fully meets the AADP's accreditation board educational requirements, giving AFPA students a thorough knowledge of courses set-forth by the Institute. Graduates of AFPA are eligible to apply to be board certified holistic health care practitioners through the AADP.
The role of an AFPA Certified Weight Management Consultant:
- Teach weight management courses in your community.
- Add a fee-based weight management service in your private practice.
- Provide weight management counseling for women, children, and others.
Opportunities as a Certified Weight Management Consultant:
- Weight management is the #1 reason that people join a gym or hire a personal trainer.
- The overweight and obesity problem in the Western world is growing at epidemic rates, including in children and teenagers.
- People are willing to pay for the services of a certified weight management professional.
- We recommend enrolling clients in a 12-week, fee-based counseling service. Fees may range from $500 to $999 for the 12-week program. Follow-up counseling for a fee is also highly recommended.
- Make back the cost of the certification by your very first client!
Minimum Prerequisites required for the Weight Management Consultant Certification program:
- AFPA Nutrition & Wellness Consultant Certification or similar; or Degree in Nutrition, Clinical Nutrition or similar.
Certified Weight Management Consultant Distance Learning/Home Study Certification Includes:
- No travel is necessary.
- All materials & examination are sent to you at the same time. There are no extra or added fees for course materials and examination.
- Course Materials: 5 course textbooks, 2 audio CD's that include the 8 hour seminar "Weight Management in Clinical Practice", 1 CD with "Weight Management in Clinical Practice" Presentation and Client Intake Forms.
- Study Suggestions.
- Upon successful completion and passage your certificate will read "Certified Weight Management Consultant".
- AFPA Membership, Wallet Size Laminated Member ID Card, and Certification Diploma.
- Toll-Free technical support during and after examination, or email AFPA any time.
- Access to the Members Only section on the web with job listings and career enhancement tools
- Updates on new and exciting programs to advance your career.
- Free monthly email newsletter with updates, event postings and job listings.
- Continuing Education opportunities with courses and AFPA Fitness Education Conferences.
- AFPA offers many fitness specialty and advanced certification programs when you are ready to expand you're your career options in the fitness field.
Weight Management Consultant Certification Topics Include, but not limited to:
- Concepts of underweight, overweight and obesity
- Prevalence of overweight in the Western world
- Health consequences of overweight and obesity
- Calculating the optimum weight for longevity and health
- Assessing metabolic rate and body composition
- Body size, shape and composition
- Clinical assessment of body composition
- Dietary and physical activity assessment
- Putting assessment components together
- Bioimpedance analysis concepts and techniques
- Energy metabolism
- The metabolic fate of ingested food
- Energy expenditure: metabolic rate
- Energy expenditure: diet induced thermogenesis
- Non-resting energy expenditure: fidgeting, exercise, and other physical activities
- Regulation of eating behaviors and body weight
- The brain: central regulator of weight
- The digestive system: receptor and effector in regulation of weight
- Storage fat: active participant in weight regulation
- BAT: effector of energy expenditure
- Genetic factors and body composition
- Environmental influences on body weight
- Herbal and other natural weight regulators
- Basic nutrition for weight management
- Physiological Influences on Weight Management
- Issues of the thyroid gland
- Issues of the gonadal systems
- Issues of the adrenal gland
- Issues of other organs of the endocrine system
- Lifestyle Balancing
- Exercise (general review of exercise and weight loss concepts)
- Stress reduction
- Genetic influences
- Past issues of abuse
- Emotional eating
- Inflammation control
- Medical / allergy testing
- Weight Counseling in Clinical Practice
Requirements for the Weight Management Consultant Certification:
- Meet the prerequisite requirements.
- Complete the online order information, mail in application or phone in your order.
- Receive and review all your materials.
- Complete the written certification exam. Written exam includes 100 short answers questions and 3-5 case studies.
- You have up to 6 months to complete your Weight Management Consultant Certification program. You may submit your exam once completed anytime prior to the 6 months.
- 90% is required to pass your certification exam. AFPA holds the highest level of standards.
- If you do not pass your certification examination you may retake the exam one time at a retest fee of $50.00.
Weight Management Consultant Certification Fee:
- $499.00 plus shipping & handling
Approximate Completion Time:
- This is a self-paced, self-study certification program, however we provide you with a suggested due date to have your program completed within a 6 month time period of the date that you receive your order. Completion time varies for each individual based upon their level of experience, educational background and how much time they devote to the Weight Management Certification course.
- Submit your examination for grading once you have completed the Weight Management Certification course.
- Please allow up to 4 weeks for grading and to receive your certificate.
- You must receive a passing grade of 90% or better to receive certification.
- If you do not meet this minimum requirement you will be mailed your exam with the questions you missed indicated in red.
- You will be given the opportunity to correct your answers one time, within a 60 day time period, the retest fee is $50.00.
- You will not be issued your certificate until you have fully met this requirement.
How to Order, Shipping & Handling:
- You may place your order online with the AFPA anytime with VISA, MasterCard, AMEX and Discover. AFPA has a secure online system 24 hours a day. You will receive confirm via email once your order has been received. Your order is processed for shipping within 24 hours.
- You may place your order with a major credit card by calling 1.800.494.7782, M-F 9:00am-5:00pm EST.
- Mail a check or money order, along with completed Order Application to AFPA.
- Standard shipping is USPS Priority Mail. Please allow 3-5 business days for delivery.
- Optional Shipping is Two Day FED EX or Next Day FED EX for an additional fee.
- All international orders are shipped Economy Fed EX.
- Select your shipping option at upon check out.
- All sales are final. No returns. Orders are processed immediately and shipped w/in 24 business hours.