Yoga Fitness Instructor Certification Course - Level I (Beg. - Int.)
"AFPA has taken me to places that I never thought that I could go as a fitness professional. Since I have been AFPA certified I have been featured in Fit Yoga magazine and through my training with AFPA I learned so much about the works of the body that I was able to combine my love of yoga with my love of sewing and developed a program for people who sew called Sewing Yoga. It is to be featured in Sew News magazine in January 2007. I'm gearing up right now to start presenting Sewing Yoga on a national level after the first of the year. So whether you are looking to go to work at your local fitness center or if you are pursuing a career as a national presenter AFPA is where it is at." - Kat Robinson
The AFPA Yoga Fitness Instructor Certification (Level I) course is designed to instruct beginner and intermediate students. The program emphasizes safe, effective, and inspiring teaching methods that prepare you to be a confident and competent Certified Yoga Fitness Instructor. You will learn excellent teaching skills, how to plan a class, how to create confidence in your students and how and when to provide posture corrections. This program offers instruction on how to live the yogic lifestyle enhancing personal health and centeredness through yoga. The Yoga Fitness Instructor Certification course is designed to educate participants about various yoga techniques and how to incorporate them into an individual and group setting. This course will enable you to formulate your own personal teaching style.
Career Options for AFPA Certified Yoga Fitness Instructors:
- Teach Yoga style classes at your local health facility or community center
- Teach at private Yoga Studios, wellness centers or hotel facilities
- Teach stress reduction and wellness programs in public and private venues
- Work as a consultant with other health care practitioners and wellness educators
- Open your own private yoga instruction/wellness center
- Teach Yoga and present workshops at universities, community colleges and other schools
- Create your own Yoga and Wellness business as a consultant or entrepreneur (some recent graduates have utilized their training to open their own original businesses, see above testimonial).
Yoga Fitness Instructor Certification (Level I) Course Learning Objectives:
- Interpret the philosophical roots and diverse practices of the classical Ashtanga and Hatha Yoga traditions.
- Employ the concepts underlying various yoga poses which allows the teacher to develop interesting sequences.
- Explain and apply the basic principles of anatomy and physiology and how they relate to developing sequences of non-injurious poses for the good health of the students.
- Practice skills to teach a beginning to intermediate yoga fitness class in the three areas of pranayama (classical breathing practices), meditation and asana (postures).
- Develop a well-rounded personal yoga practice with insight that allows you to be good yoga teacher.
- Prepare for a full or part-time position as a yoga fitness instructor.
- Deploy appropriate communication strategies and professionalism incorporating the AFPA Code of Ethics.
- Examine appropriate yoga fitness resources, equipment and protocols.
Topics Covered in the Yoga Fitness Instructor Certification (Level I) Course:
- Yogic theory and philosophy.
- Anatomy and Physiology as they relate to yoga practice.
- Various Meditation methods; mindfulness, walking meditation, use of a mantra.
- Breathing Techniques.
- Body Alignment.
- Balancing Stress & Mental Awareness.
- Class format and how to incorporate and use these various modalities of yoga.
- How to teach a variety of basic beginning yoga classes.
- Warm Ups and Limber Ups.
- Yoga Posturing, Asanas and Variations.
- Yoga Based Movements for Yoga Strength, Flexibility & Enhanced Mental Focus.
- Yoga for Common Problems.
- Progressive Yoga Routines for: Morning Yoga, Energizing Yoga, Lunchtime yoga, Bedtime Yoga, Yoga for Women.
- Menopause, Yoga for Maternity, Yoga for Children, Yoga for Seniors, Detox Yoga, Yoga for Sports.
- Over 100 yoga positions, 300 step by step color photographs, illustrated with a flowing sequence of quick reference figures.
Yoga Fitness Instructor Certification (Level I) Course Includes:
- No travel is necessary.
- All materials & examination are sent to you at the same time - 1 Instructional Certification Textbook, 2 Instructional DVD's, 1 audio instructional CD; 1 all music CD for practice; flash cards; yoga belt for deep stretching; Certification exam.
- Study Suggestions.
- There are no extra or added fees for course materials and examination.
- Upon successful course completion and passage of final exam your certificate will read "Certified Yoga Fitness Instructor Certification (Level I)".
- AFPA Membership packet with wallet size laminated member ID card.
- Toll-Free technical support during and after examination, or email AFPA any time.
- Access to the Student section and Members Only section on the web with job listings and career enhancement tools.
- Updates on new and exciting programs to advance your career.
- AFPA E-News weekly email newsletter with updates, event postings and job listings.
- Continuing Education opportunities with courses and AFPA Fitness Education Conferences.
- AFPA offers many fitness specialty and advanced certification programs when you are ready to expand your career options in the fitness field.
- 18 years of age
- Functional knowledge of english and arthimetic
- Basic understanding of yoga philoshophy and asanas suggested, but not required.
- CPR not required to take examination but will be required by employer and to obtain liability insurance.
Requirements for AFPA Yoga Fitness Instructor Certification (Level I) Course:
- Enroll safe and secure online, mail in enrollment application or phone in your order.
- Receive and review all your materials.
- Complete your quizzes and practice assignments at home.
- Complete the Class Participation Log Sheet. You are required to participate in 10 Yoga style classes.
- Complete the AFPA Yoga Fitness Level I final certification exam.
- The written exam includes 125 identification & short answer questions.
- Complete the informal practical demonstration of a yoga program of your choice.
- The practical demonstration may be accomplished through photographs, DVD, CD or Utube presentation. Detailed instructions will be included with your certification program.
- You have up to 6 months to complete your Yoga Fitness Instructor Certification course.
- You may submit your exam once completed anytime prior to the 6 months.
- 90% is required to pass your final certification exam.
- You must receive a passing grade of 90% or better to receive certification.
- If you do not meet this minimum requirement you will be mailed/or emailed your results.
- You will be the opportunity to correct your answers within a 90 day time period.
- Students that do not achieve this score are able to retake a final exam within 3 months at no added fee.
- Additional attempts are subject to a $50 administrative fee.
How to Order, Shipping & Handling:
- You may place your order online anytime with VISA, MasterCard, AMEX and Discover.
- AFPA has a secure online system 24 hours a day.
- You will receive confirm via email once your order has been received.
- Your order is processed for shipping within 24 business hours.
- You may place your order by phone with a major credit card by calling 1.800.494.7782, M-F 9:00am-5:00pm EST.
- You may mail check or money order, along with completed Enrollment Application to AFPA.
- Standard shipping is USPS Priority Mail. Please allow 3-5 business days for delivery.
- Optional Shipping is 2 Day FED EX or Next Day FED EX for an additional fee.
- All international orders are shipped Economy Fed EX to insure delivery.
- Select your shipping option upon check out.
- Orders are processed immediately and shipped w/in 24 business hours.
Shared Progam Plan for Two
Shared Progam Plan for Two
Save by participating in the Shared Program Plan. You will receive one set of materials and two examinations sent to one location. Each applicant is...
Shared Progam Plan for Two
Increase your earning potential and SAVE by purchasing both the Yoga Fitness Instructor Certification - Level I and the Nutrition & Wellness...
Pilates Fitness Instructor Certification - Level I (Mat) & Yoga Fitness Instructor Certification - Level I
Increase your earning potential and SAVE by purchasing both the Yoga Fitness Instructor Certification - Level I and the Pilates Fitness Instructor...
Increase your earning potential and SAVE by purchasing both the Yoga Fitness Instructor Certification - Level I and the Group Fitness Instructor...
Purchase both the Yoga Fitness Instructor Certification - Level I and Level II and SAVE! Includes course materials and certification examinations for...
Increase your earning potential and SAVE by purchasing both the Yoga Fitness Instructor Certification - Level I and the Personal Trainer...
Two individuals will save by participating in the "Shared Program Plan". The program works best for those living in the same household. You will...
The AFPA Yoga Fitness Instructor Certification - Level I program is designed to instruct beginner and intermediate students. The program emphasizes...
Nutrition & Wellness Consultant Certification
and Weight Management Consultant Certification