Obesity, type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cholesterol levels and sedentary lifestyles among youth on the rise, AFPA is dedicated to making fitness a lifelong habit for our youth thru the development of the AFPA Children's Fitness Specialist Certification(R) course, which goes beyond exercise to promote healthy lifestyle choices and appropriate social behavior.
According to the American Diabetes Association, type 2 diabetes is ever more commonly occurring in overweight children. Statistics indicate that as many as 80 percent of youth may be overweight when diagnosed. Adult health risk factors are appearing in kindergarten to age six populations. These medical conditions have become an epidemic and AFPA is leading the fight by providing educational programming to fitness enthusiasts who are eager help our children toward leading a more healthy life!
The AFPA Children's Fitness Specialist Certification(R) course will show you how to get kids fit and gain self confidence too. It's about giving kids the tools, skills and experience so they can lead a physically active life the rest of their life.
AFPA Certified Children's Fitness Specialist(R) provides a multidisciplinary approach to teaching health-related fitness at the elementary school level. This comprehensive Certified Children's Fitness Specialist program helps practitioners build successful programs that will meet the challenging health demands of the 21st century.
As an AFPA Certified Children's Fitness Specialist(R) working for yourself:
- You can create individual programs for children to meet their specific weigh loss or fitness goals!
- Teach children one on one, or in a group setting.
- Open your own Children's Fitness Franchise Business.
- Create your own work schedule.
- Set your own hourly income: $40-$125 per hour.
- You make all the business decisions.
- You can work from home, in a client's home, or at a facility.
- Some AFPA certified trainers have created their own home gym to train children, working their own schedule with no travel time and expense.
- You can further your credentials by obtaining other AFPA Specialty Certifications and increase your earning potential.
Working for others as an AFPA Certified Children's Fitness Specialist(R):
- You may work at a Kids Fitness Studio or health club and receive a free membership.
- You may receive employee benefits.
- You may work within a preschool, elementary or secondary school teaching fitness programs.
- You may work within the community recreation department.
- The facility may have extensive equipment that you can use with the children to help them obtain their goals.
- You may get bonuses for obtaining new clients, selling memberships, and setting up new kids fitness programs!
- 18 years of age; High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Basic understanding of anatomy and resistance/cardiovascular training.
- Personal Trainer Certification or Group Fitness Certification is recommended.
- CPR not required to take examination but may be required by employer or to obtain liability insurance.
Children's Fitness Specialist(R) Certification Topics include the following:
- Foundations of Fitness Education
- Surgeon General's Report on Physical Activity and Health
- Health Assessment/Authentic Assessment
- Behavioral Change and Motivational Strategies
- Motivational Strategies
- Teaching Strategies
- The Spectrum of Teaching Style
- Class Structure
- Principles of Health-Related Physical Fitness
- Fitness Education for Children With Physical Disabilities
- Getting Parents and Your Community Involved
Planning and Teaching Fitness Education
- Fitness Education Lessons
- Teaching Health-Related Physical Fitness Concepts
- Strategies for Teaching Fitness Concepts
- Collaborating With the Classroom Teacher
- Health-Related Physical Fitness Classroom Activities
- Developmental Exercises
- Cardiorespiratory Endurance
- Muscular Strength and Muscular Endurance
- Exercises to Avoid
- Active Games
- Dance and Rhythmic Activities
- Planning Developmentally Appropriate Activities
- School-Wide Event
- Fitness Field Day
- School Health Fair
- Jump Rope for Heart, Hoops for Heart, and Step for Heart
- Holiday Classics
Special features of the Children's Fitness Specialist® Certification program:
- A sample yearly plan and lesson plans
- A sample thematic unit
- 17 learning activities for integrating specific fitness concepts into your classes
- More than 100 developmental exercises, games, and dance and rhythmic activities
- 11 organized events that could be used for studios, community centers & schools
- Reproducible instructional materials
- Sample letters and contracts
- Authentic assessment instruments
- Fitness education portfolio
- Task card samples
- Motivational strategies
- Guidelines for including children with disabilities
Children's Fitness Specialist(R) Certification Program Includes:
- No travel is necessary.
- All materials & examination are sent to you at the same time - 2 Textbooks, 2 set VHS, 1 CD for your computer with reproducible lesson plans, activities and much more!.
- Study Suggestions.
- There are no extra or added fees for course materials and examination.
- Upon successful completion and passage your certificate will read "Certified Children's Fitness Specialist ". AFPA does not distinguish between "home study" versus "in person" certificates as both programs are equally evaluated.
- AFPA Membership packet with wallet size laminated member ID card.
- Toll-Free technical support during and after examination, or email AFPA any time.
- Access to the Members Only section on the web with job listings and career enhancement tools
- Updates on new and exciting programs to advance your career.
- Free monthly email newsletter with updates, event postings and job listings.
- Continuing Education opportunities with courses and AFPA Fitness Education Conferences.
- AFPA offers many fitness specialty and advanced certification programs when you are ready to expand you're your career options in the fitness field.
Requirements for AFPA Children's Fitness Specialist Certification:
- Complete the online order information, mail in application or phone in your order.
- Receive and review all your materials.
- Complete the written certification exam. Written exam includes 90 short answer open ended questions and a case study.
- 90% is required to pass your certification exam. AFPA holds the highest level of standards.
- If you do not pass your certification examination you may retake the exam one time at no added cost.