Expanded, updated, and packed with new resources, Applied Body Composition Assessment, Second Edition,
brings both practitioners and students up to date on the latest body composition methods and equations for healthy and clinical populations. This is the most comprehensive textbook on body composition assessment available today.
Like the popular first edition, this book addresses the principles underlying the skinfold, bioelectrical impedance, near-infrared interactance, and anthropometric methods of body composition assessment. Applied Body Composition Assessment, Second Edition,
also shows you how to control for potential errors in measurement, different equations for different populations, and much more. The second edition has been expanded to include the following:
- Equations based on the most recent research
- Recommendations reflecting the latest developments in body composition methods
- New material on measuring the body composition of clinical populations, including those with cardiopulmonary, metabolic, and wasting diseases and disorders
- More comprehensive coverage of the theoretical and scientific bases of body composition assessment, including more extensive coverage of body composition models and reference methods
- Pedagogical aids, including key questions that initiate each chapter; key terms, key points, review questions at the end of each chapter; and an instructor guide and test package
An entire chapter is devoted to each body composition assessment method, including information on its assumptions and principles, prediction models, techniques for use, potential sources of error, and the most recent research on assessing changes in body composition. In addition, the authors discuss how to choose the best method and equations for a variety of healthy populations, as well as the clinical populations noted previously, taking into account age, gender, ethnicity, physical activity level, and disease.
Three appendixes provide practical tips for understanding conversion formulas for two-component models, tables that help you find appropriate methods and equations for your clients, and contact information for equipment manufacturers. More than 60 photos and illustrations complement the text.
Students will find that the book is full of helpful review and summary tools that facilitate absorbing the wealth of information. These pedagogical aids include key term lists, chapter summaries, review questions, a glossary, a list of symbols, 51 tables that neatly package key information, and step-by-step instructions for each body composition method.
A reference for body composition professionals, fitness professionals, nutrition specialists and clinicians; a textbook for body composition, nutrition, and exercise science courses