AFPA proudly supports our military family. AFPA is veteran owned. All AFPA Certification Programs qualify for VA Reimbursment and mycaa.
AFPA American Fitness Professionals and Associates Certification programs have been approved for the Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA).
AFPA is a MyCAA approved school. The Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts Program (MyCAA), a component of the Department of Defense’s (DoD) Spouse Education and Career Opportunities (SECO) program, is a career development and employment assistance program. The MyCAA program helps military spouses pursue professional certifications necessary for gainful employment in high demand, high growth Portable Career Fields and Occupations.
Once you have been approved email AFPA for your Educational Plan at email@example.com.
For more information visit the MyCAA Spouse Portal online.
Call 1-800-342-9647 to speak with a MyCAA Career and Education Consultant. Or Speak with an AFPA representative at 1-494-7782.This program will provide the spouse financial aid up to $4000.00.
G.I. Bill Approved
Get reimbursed for any/all AFPA Certifications. Active military, veterans and eligible spouses and dependents can receive reimbursement. This benefit applies to all AFPA Certifications.
Here' s how:
1. Pass your AFPA Certification exam.
2. Download and Complete VA Form 22-1990 or complete online. Once you have completed this form, you will be in the military admin system as "eligible and approved" for benefits (for both active duty and veteran). If you are an eligible child or spouse, complete VA Form 22-5490.
3. Next, Download and Complete VA Form 22-0803. You must submit this to Veterans Affairs upon receipt of your credential to start the process for the "reimbursement" of the AFPA “Certification". If you would like to mail this form please include the following information with the completed form:
- Title: Request for Reimbursement
- Your full name
- Your social security number
- Name and address of certifying organization, AFPA American Fitness Professionals & Associates
- Name and date of certification you completed and passed
- Cost of the certification
- State the following: " I authorize the release of my test information to the VA".
1. Complete form 22-1990 or Form 22-5490 (online or mail in)
2. Have receipt of purchase
3. Grade documentation
4. Complete Form 22-0803 with above information.
Be sure to request reimbursement for the AFPA CERTIFICATION that you completed. For example AFPA Personal Trainer Certification, or AFPA Nutrition & Wellness Consultant Certification. Do not use the term "License", "School", or “College” as this will cause approval delays.
If you are mailing in your documents:
If you are located in CT DE DC ME MD MA NH NJ NY PA RI VT VA send to the Eastern Regional Office:
VA Regional Office
PO Box 4616
Buffalo, NY 14240-4616
If you are located in CO IL IN IA KS KY MI MN MO MT NE ND OH SD TN WI WV WY send to the Central Regional Office:
VA Regional Office
PO Box 66830
St. Louis, MO 63166-6830
If you are located in AL AK AR AZ CA HI ID LA NV NM OK OR MS TX UT WA Guam Philippines send to the Western Regional Office:
VA Regional Office
PO Box 8888
Muskogee, OK 74402-8888
If you are located in FL GA PR US Virgin Islands NC SC send to the Southern Regional Office:
VA Regional Office
PO Box 100022
Decatur, GA 30031-7022
If you have any questions during this process, please don’t hesitate to call or email the AFPA for assistance.
AFPA proudly salutes our military members, thank you for your service!
For more information on G.I. Bill reimbursement and other FAQ, visit the V.A. website.
For a quick search of the AFPA WEAMS listing.
Go to the WEAMS License/Certification Search: (Choose "Certification" in the drop down menu for "LAC Category Type” and “NJ" for State and select any of the Fitness, Personal Trainer and/or Nutrition Certification programs of interest). For assistance please call 1.800.494.7782.
FAQs about VA Benefits
What’s The Licensing And Certification Benefit?
The new licensing and certification benefit allows VA (Department of Veterans Affairs) to pay you, if you’re eligible, for a test for a license or certification. You can receive reimbursement for approved licensing or certification tests you take on or after March 1, 2001. These tests must be specifically approved for the G.I.Bill. All AFPA Certification exams have been approved.
Will this benefit really be good for me?
Becoming certified professional can open doors for you. Certification is voluntary, but frequently sought after and will help you get, keep, or advance in a job.
How Much Can I Receive?
You can receive reimbursement of up to $2,000 per test but not more than the actual cost of the test. You can receive benefits to retake a test you failed. The number of tests you can take is unlimited, except that you can’t receive benefit to retake a test you passed.
Am I Eligible?
You may receive this benefit if you’re eligible for:
- The Montgomery G. I. Bill – Active Duty (also called the MGIB or Chapter 30; unfortunately this benefit isn’t available for the MGIB for reservists)
- VEAP (also called Chapter 32)
- Dependents’ Educational Assistance (also called DEA or Chapter 35)
To find out if you might be eligible under any of these programs visit www.gibill.va.gov.
Reminder: You generally have 10 years after your discharge from active duty to use your benefits.
How Do I Find Out If My Test Has Been Approved?
Visit www.gibill.va.gov. Click on “Education Benefits”, then “Search for Approved Education Programs”; followed by “Search for Approved License & Certification Programs”. Click “HERE” and under “LAC Category-Certification” enter “NJ”. You will see all AFPA Certification Programs Listed here. AFPA (American Fitness Professionals & Associates) Certification exams were approved on March 1, 2005.
How Do I Apply For Benefits?
Get the ball rolling by taking the certification of your choice and apply for benefits.
Send a copy of your test results to the VA office that handles your education benefits. Check the map at www.gibill.va.gov. Attach a note with the following information:
- Your request for reimbursement.
- Your name and social security number or VA claim number.
- The name of the test you took and the date you took it.
- Name and address of the organization issuing the license or certificate (not necessarily the organization that administered the test).
- Cost of the test (Note: Registration fees, preparation guides, processing fees, etc. will not be reimbursed).
- The following statement: “I authorize release of my test information to VA.”
If you have never previously filed a claim for VA education benefits, you’ll also need to submit an application for benefits. You can print either of the following forms from www.gibill.va.gov.
- VA Form 22-1990 (Veteran or on active duty)
- VA Form 22-5490 (Eligible Child or spouse)
Or complete and submit the VA form 22-1990 on-line at www.gibill.va.gov,
Or call 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) and request the form.
Send the application form along with the other information above to the VA regional office that processes your claim. The addresses are on the forms.