The AFPA Store. Health. Nutrition. Fitness.
Everything you need to stay at the top of your game.Shop the AFPA Store…
Maintain Your AFPA Certification
AFPA is committed to constantly expanding the education of its faculty and staff and therefore require continuing education in order to renew your credentials. Continuing Education Requirements help to encourage and promote certificant's to stay current and abreast of new research developments, practices, skills and education in their professional field. Those certificant's who continue to develop and expand their range of knowledge and skills are those that are most capable of serving their clientele.
All health, fitness and nutrition certificant's are expected to participate in a variety of activities related to their continued educational growth to assure the high degree of expertise in their field that is associated with their certification credentials. To maintain current certification with AFPA, our members are required to complete a 16 CEC's during the 2 year time period in which their certification is valid.
AFPA recognizes six categories of courses for continuing education credit. CEC's may be obtained through AFPA courses/events or through varios other organizations offering continuing education for professionals in fitness, health and nutrition. CEC's can be obtained thru:
- Workshops, Seminars and Conferences
- Home-study or Correspondence Courses
- Online Quizzes
- College or University Courses
- Program/Course Development
Activities That Do Not Qualify As Continuing Education
Activities such as leadership or committee responsibilities, attendance at meetings, membership in professional organizations, individual research and special projects do not qualify for continuing education hours. Whereas these activities are worthwhile professional development activities, they do not qualify for credit toward re-certification.
In addition, courses that are not acceptable for AFPA approval include:
- Material redundant to any current AFPA courses/material
- Workshops or conferences similar to those held by AFPA during the same dates and locations
Certification Renewal Application
- Once I become Certified, how do I renew my certification?
- How many Continuing Education Credits do I need to renew my certification?
- If I have more than one AFPA certification, how do I keep both certifications current?
- Can I use ACE, AFAA, or NATA credits toward my renewal?
- How do I know how many credits are good towards my AFPA certification?
- What are some ways to acquire CEC's?
- Can I get all my credits through home study or just workshops?
Once I become Certified, how do I renew my certification?
Approximately 2-3 months prior to your certification expiration date, AFPA will mail, or email a renewal notice to the address you used when you first became certified. (It is your responsibility to notify us of any address/email updates at your earliest convenience). Complete your certification renewal application that was enclosed with your certificate, include copies of your earned CEC's within the 2 year period, a copy of your CPR card, and an $85 renewal fee.
How many Continuing Education Credits do I need to renew my certification?
You must earn 16 CEC's within the two year certification period.
If I have more than one AFPA certification, how do I keep both certifications current?
Each certification has its own expiration date. You will need to have 16 credits within both 2-year periods. Credits earned may go towards both certifications.
Can I use other organizations cec's toward my renewal?
Yes. In additional to the over 200 CEC opportunities AFPA offers, we do accept credits from events & courses that offer CEC's from various professions in addition to fitness, such as Nursing, Massage Therapy and more. Upon renewal, you will need to submit copies of the certificates of completion that list the number of credits for each course, along with the certification documentation and renewal fee.
How do I know how many credits are good towards my AFPA certification?
If you are uncertain about the CEC's you have earn please call AFPA to determine if they will count toward your certification renewal.
What are some ways to acquire CEC's?
- 16 CECs are awarded for any AFPA Certification course.
AFPA currently offers a variety of certification courses.
- CECs are awarded for AFPA CEC courses.
- CECs are awarded for advanced first aid (One time only).
- CECs are awarded for college courses that are related to fitness, health, nutrition or business.
- CECs are awarded for courses taken from other fitness, health and nutrition organizations.
- CECs are awarded for research articles written or courses developed.
- CECs may be awarded upon petition of a course you have taken. We recommend that you make sure your non-AFPA courses are AFPA-approved before enrolling. You may email AFPA at email@example.com or call 609.978.7583 for approval of a non-AFPA course.
Can I get all my credits through home study or just workshops?
Credits may be acquired through home study courses, workshops or conferences and various other ways.
Download the AFPA Course Catalog [PDF Format]
AFPA Certification Programs are approved for the G.I.Bill, MYCAA and more!Learn More…
AFPA "Beach Jam" Fitness, Trainer, Sports & Mind Body Conference
May 8 - 10, 2014
Ocean City, MD