The AFPA Store. Health. Nutrition. Fitness.
Everything you need to stay at the top of your game.Shop the AFPA Store…
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is there such a thing as a license to be a personal trainer?
- Why do I need to be Certified?
- Why should I become an AFPA Certified Personal Trainer?
- Who completes the AFPA certification programs?
- What does AFPA stand for?
- Do you offer distance learning/home study certifications?
- How many professionals has AFPA Certified?
- Are there any pre-qualifications I need to become an AFPA Certified Personal Trainer?
- What are the steps to becoming an AFPA Certified Personal Trainer?
- How long does it take to complete the AFPA Certified Personal Fitness Trainer program?
- What is the price of becoming an AFPA Certified Personal Trainer?
- Does AFPA offer any kind of ongoing support once I become a certified member?
- Do I need to attend an on-site workshop can I become Certified with a distance learning/home study option?
- What is included with the AFPA Certified Personal Trainer Certification Course include?
- What other Certification programs does AFPA offer?
- On average, how much can I expect to make as an AFPA Certified Personal Trainer?
- How can I get started today?
- How do I learn more about how to start my business as an AFPA Certified Personal Trainer?
- Is it recommended that I work for a gym or wellness center before operating my own Personal Training business?
- Does AFPA offer continuing educational courses?
- How do we get a live workshops scheduled in our area?
- What forms of payment does AFPA accept?
- Do I need to purchase separately the appropriate textbook/materials?
- How long does it take to receive my certification program?
- How long does it take to get my exam results?
- What will I receive after I pass an AFPA certification exam?
- What if I don't pass the certification exam?
- Can I get a re-print of my certificate?
- How long are the AFPA certifications valid?
- How do I maintain my certification?
- Will AFPA help me with job placement?
- Who can I contact if I want more information on liability insurance?
Is there such a thing as a license to be a personal trainer?
Personal trainers are not “licensed” practitioners. You can conduct your training business how you chose keeping in mind the AFPA Code of Ethics.
Why do I need to be Certified?
Certification provides assurance of conformance and shows vendors' confidence in, and commitment to, their products. It gives buyers confidence that products conform to standards and specifications and are interoperable, and individuals have the required expertise and experience.
Why should I become an AFPA Certified Personal Trainer?
AFPA Personal Trainer Certifcation program is accredited and recognized nationally and international as a leader in fitness, wellness and nutrition education and certification. Earning your AFPA Personal Trainer Certification is the first step in gaining the knowledge to successfully train various populations of individuals, gain professional recognition and financial rewards. You will learn all the important information necessary to get you started as a Certified Personal Trainer. Once you become certified though make sure you continue learning and educating yourself to keep up with new research information and current trends in the fitness fields. Read the many free research articles on the AFPA web site or take one of the specialty certification programs to expand your area of expertise.
Who completes the AFPA certification programs?
Many people with different backgrounds and education have participated in AFPA certification training programs: doctors, chiropractors, gym owners, college and high school coaches, wellness coordinators, weight loss counselors, non-certified instructors and trainers, and individuals who are currently certified by other organizations. There are no state-by-state regulations for personal training therefore your certification is valid in any U.S.A. state. We also have many certified members in various foreign countries such as Hong Kong, Singapore, United Kingdom, Germany, Canada and many more.
What does AFPA stand for?
American Fitness Professionals and Associates
Do you offer distance learning/home study certifications?
Yes, all AFPA certifications can be taken through distance learning/home study.
How many professionals has AFPA Certified?
AFPA has certified more than 60,000 individuals that have participated in all certification education programs. AFPA clientele includes but is not limited to fitness enthusiasts, nurses, physicians, nutritionists, holistic practitioners, chiropractors, college and high school coaches, physical therapists, athletic trainers, and health & fitness professionals.
Are there any pre-qualifications I need to become an AFPA Certified Personal Trainer?
AFPA requires that individuals be at least 18 years of age, have the equivalent of a high school education and have a sincere desire to help others obtain their fitness goals.
What are the steps to becoming an AFPA Certified Professional?
Decide which certification program fits your needs and goals.
- Evaluate the certification requirements.
- Order your certification program.
- Study and train.
- Stay certified.
How long does it take to complete the AFPA Certified Personal Fitness Trainer program?
Completion time varies from individual to individual. Study time to complete the Distance Learning/Home Study program varies based on educational background, reading and writing skills and efficiency. Most individuals can become a competent Certified Personal Trainer within a few months when studying 7-10 hours a week.
What is the price of becoming an AFPA Certified Personal Trainer?
The price for AFPA Certification varies depending on the certification course chosen. Please review the individual certification courses for the prices. These prices include all courses materials and examination fee - there are no additional fees! There are no hidden costs or extra fees.
Does AFPA offer any kind of ongoing support once I become a certified member?
You may call the AFPA Toll-Free and speak with any of the representative about questions you may have. AFPA representatives can assist you with study questions, client questions, or any other questions you may have. You may call 9 AM to 5 PM Eastern Standard Time Monday through Friday, or you may email AFPA if you have questions after hours.
Do I need to attend an on-site workshop can I become Certified with a distance learning/home study option?
No. AFPA offers a distance learning/home study Personal Trainer Certification that so that you may study at home and learn at your own pace. AFPA realizes that fitting classes or school into your busy schedule can be difficult, so the distance learning/home study option allows you to set your own schedule, study at your own pace and take the certification examination at your convenience!
What is included with the AFPA Certified Personal Trainer Certification Course include?
- 588 page Personal Training Certification Guide and Textbook
- 218 page illustrated guide on training and exercise techniques
- 2-set AFPA DVD with over 65 exercises demonstrated for strength, function, stability and balance for healthy and de-conditioned clients
- CD for your computer that has printable illustrated exercises and stretches for post rehab clients, exercise log sheets, and client intake and assessment forms that you may print and reproduce.
- Certification examination with instructions and suggested study
- Grading, processing, AFPA membership and membership packet
- Unlimited free Technical Support via email and phone during and after the certification process
- Access to the AFPA Members Area on the AFPA Web site, which includes downloadable forms to help grow your business
- Access to research articles and links on the AFPA Web site
- Access to job openings and postings on the AFPA Web site
What other Certification programs does AFPA offer?
Our most popular certification programs are the Personal Trainer Certification and the Nutrition and Wellness Certification course. AFPA offers the following certification program:
- Personal Trainer Certification Course
- Advanced Personal Trainer Certification Course
- Master Personal Trainer Certification Course
- Nutrition & Wellness Consultant Certificate Course
- Sports Nutrition Consultant Certification Course
- Weight Management Consultant Certification Course
- NEW! Master Nutrition Consultant Certification Course
- Pre/Post Natal Exercise Specialist Certification Course
- Cardio Kickboxing Instructor Certification Course
- Children's Fitness Specialist Certification Course
- Cycle Instructor Certification Course
- Sports Conditioning Specialist Certification Course
- Functional Training Specialist Certification Course
- Yoga Fitness Instructor Certification Course - Level I (Beg. - Int.)
- Yoga Fitness Instructor Certification Course - Level II (Int.- Adv.)
- Pilates Fitness Instructor Certification Course - Level I (Mat)
- Pilates Fitness Instructor Certification Course - Level II (Props)
- Post-Rehab Exercise Specialist Certification Course
- Stability Ball Trainer Certification Course
- Strength Trainer Certification Course
- Senior Fitness Specialist Certification Course
- Aquatic Instructor Certification Course
- Group Fitness Instructor Certification Course
- Trainer of Special Populations Certification Course
- Learn More...
On average, how much can I expect to make as an AFPA Certified Personal Trainer?
On average one personal training session ranges from $25 to $50 depending on your geographical location, services you offer and area of expertise. You may also consider packaging sessions or group personal training to increase your earning potential.
How can I get started today?
The first step is to enroll in the Certification program of your choice. You will then receive your study materials and instructions on how to complete your certification program. You can begin once you receive your materials!
How do I learn more about how to start my business as an AFPA Certified Personal Trainer?
The AFPA Personal Trainer Certification course materials discuss all aspects of how to start and run your own successful personal training business. You are also provided with business plans and business forms that you may replicate.
Is it recommended that I work for a gym or wellness center before operating my own Personal Training business?
This would depend on your comfort level and confidence in your abilities. Some individual choose to work for another to gain more experience, see how business is conducted, view the methods of acquiring clients, as well as establishing contacts for future business. However, others begin their business immediately after completing the AFPA certification program.
Does AFPA offer continuing educational courses?
AFPA over 100 unique courses for which you can obtain continuing education credits. AFPA also conducts 2-3 annual conferences that you may attend to obtain continuing education credits.
How do we get a live workshops scheduled in our area?
To host a workshop, contact AFPA at 1.800.494.7782 Workshop Host Application for information.
What forms of payment does AFPA accept?
AFPA accepts VISA, MasterCard, AMEX, Discover, check or money order. You may pay online or call with your major credit card payment or you may mail your payment and to: AFPA P.O. Box 214 Ship Bottom, NJ 08008
Do I need to purchase separately the appropriate textbook/materials?
No. All courses include all the materials you will need to complete the course. There are no additional fees for materials.
How long does it take to receive my certification program?
Regular shipping through USPS can take from 3-5 business days, or you can request next day or second day delivery.
How long does it take to get my exam results?
Please allow up to 30 business days to receive your exam results. You may request “Rapid Results” which will provide you with your exam results within 48 business hours for an additional fee.
What will I receive after I pass an AFPA certification exam?
Upon successful completion of any AFPA certification examination you will receive a complete certification package that includes your professional certification suitable for framing, indicating that you have met the certification standards of AFPA. You will also receive a wallet sized professional membership card, and CEC information. This package will be forwarded to you within four weeks of passing your exam.
What if I don't pass the certification exam?
If you don't pass the certification exam, you may re-take the exam at no additional fee within three months of receiving your results.
Can I get a re-print of my certificate?
Re-prints are available for $25.00 for certificates and membership card. You may order this over the phone or mail your check or money order.
How long are the AFPA certifications valid?
Each certification is valid for two years.
How do I maintain my certification?
In order to maintain the high quality standards, AFPA Certified Trainers and Instructors are required to accumulate 16 continuing education credits (CEC's) over a two-year period and comply with the AFPA Code of Ethics and Continuing Education requirements. CEC's can be obtained variety of ways; workshops, training seminars, conventions, or completion of distance learning education programs. The CEC's do not have to be earned solely through the AFPA.
Will AFPA help me with job placement?
As part of the AFPA membership benefits you are entitled to access the Members section of the AFPA web site and view job postings and the career resource center.
What is the average time it takes for AFPA to respond to a student's inquiry concerning program content and requirements?
AFPA expedites inquiries as quickly as possible. AFPA will typically respond in less than 24 business hours.
Who can I contact if I want more information on liability insurance?
Call AFPA at 1.800.494.7782 for professional liability insurance or visit the Members Area for a listing of companies.
Download the AFPA Course Catalog [PDF Format]
AFPA Certification Programs are approved for the G.I.Bill, MYCAA and more!Learn More…
AFPA "Beach Jam" Fitness, Trainer, Sports & Mind Body Conference
May 8 - 10, 2014
Ocean City, MD